Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow Day

The snow is coming down but it's 28 degrees with no wind? Hey Cora, want to go outside?

Winter can be a tough time to be parenting little ones. In my pre-kid life, January and February were a great time to curl up with a good book, watch some serious films, get some work done under the cozy glow of a desk lamp . . . toddlers are interested in exactly none of that. However, this winter hasn't been so bad. In addition to the novelty of adjusting to a new baby in the house, I'm finding wintering with a newborn and a just-turned-two-year-old much better than making it through last year's extra long winter with a just-turned-one-year-old. At one they're too mobile and active to just hang out playing pat-a-cake, but not quite steady enough on their feet or mature enough in their interactions to be out in the world doing all the kid stuff, either.

In general, as much as you hear about the "terrible twos," two has been kinder to us so far than one was. I think it was the "terrible one-and-a-halfs" here. And whereas a one-year-old's idea of a good time is pulling all the books off the shelf and such, now that type of thing is at least mixed in with, "Mom, want to play Mr. Pomaymo Head? Mom, want to play markers and papers?" I am on board with Mr. Potato Head and markers, yes.

And as Hazel continues becoming more alert and stronger, she's entering that fun baby stage, as well. Geoff and I have been saying to each other that both of our kids are going through extra-cute phases right now.


So I bundled up the cuties and we tromped through the snow a bit today. One was big enough to actually play in it, and the other was too young to mind and little enough to be easily carried.


Snow garden:



"Your turn, Mom." I hear that several times a day:

1 comment:

Greg said...

My they are sweet! I'm so glad you all got out to enjoy the winter.

I have been thinking that we should do that when you come out.

The "Terribles" are about the adults, I think. The kids are the same curious, excited, evolving little creatures. We adults just find it terrible that they think on their own and have ideas different than we do. And they are challenging with their questions of "What's that? Who's that? Why?"

Of course being a grandpa, I don't bear the FULL brunt of that. Since I see them for only hours at a time I have to not fret and focus on the pleasures of the moments.

Thanks for sharing them with me. Give them a loving hug from Grandpa, please.