Well, if you're reading this it means we've made it far enough into this pregnancy that we've gone public. Right now it's been four weeks since I got a positive home pregnancy test. This pregnancy has coincidentally come one year to the day after our last, ill-fated, pregnancy and in fact has the same due date again: November 8.
Our experiences haven't been unusual or particularly severe when it comes to the history of human family-building--lots of people have a first-trimester miscarriage, lots of people take longer than they would wish to get pregnant again--but it's nevertheless been a frustrating and difficult year for us in this particular area of our life, so we've managed to keep this new pregnancy very much to ourselves so far (even more so than last time). We're not ready to have everyone be excited for us yet, but we don't want anyone to be worried with us, either. These past few weeks have been just waiting waiting waiting to see if things work out. It's gone soooo slowly!
It's been made that much longer by the fact that I tested positive at 3 weeks and 3 days pregnant. When they say EARLY home pregnancy test, they are not kidding!
Last time we found out we were pregnant it was all very sweet, with Geoff and I going into our bathroom in Brooklyn together to check on the developed test and being happy to see the positive result.
This time was more in keeping with our new jaded attitude. One night after Geoff had gone to bed I stayed up working on one of my freelance projects. I was distracted by thoughts that I might be pregnant this month, so I impulsively decided to take a test, to put my mind at ease so I could concentrate. While I waited for the test to develop, I berated myself for "wasting" a test and torturing myself by testing so ridiculously early. And then it popped up: Pregnant.
I knew Geoff had a full day and an early morning ahead of him so I debated but then decided he would want to know. I woke him up and showed him the test. We both "wow"ed for a couple minutes, and then he tried to go back to sleep and I tried to get back to work, and the waiting began.
Currently: 7 weeks pregnant.
1 comment:
Ah, modern technology. Greta tested positive at about the same point in her pregnancy. I wanted her to wait until after her period was due, but she is not good with the patience thing.
We took a photo of our positive test ... I still have it somewhere. :-)
Post a Comment