Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Insane Asylum at 3 AM

In order to make us appreciative of how good she has become on most nights, Cora decided to show us her demonically possessed side last night. She started off acting like she was going to go to sleep like normal, then she spit up and soaked the collar of her pajamas, and when I changed her, all hell broke loose.

Suffice it to say, when Geoff woke up this morning, the pad from the changing table was in the bassinet, and the baby, now dressed in her fourth change of pajamas, was sleeping peacefully on it. I had crawled into bed still wearing my bathrobe, expecting to have to get up again ten minutes after my head hit the pillow, but in fact Cora had finally fallen asleep and stayed that way for four hours.

The scene was the result of an intense game of Simon Says. "Simon said pat my bottom at eight-six pats per minute, not eighty-three. You lose! More crying! Now Simon says . . . actually I'm not going to tell you what Simon says, you have to guess, jerks! Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Geoff wasn't totally surprised at the state of things, as at one point her crying had become so loud and angry that he had gotten up to make sure no one was injured. He got to run through the litany of Cora-soothing tricks himself (I don't blame him), and see that nothing was working, before retreating back to bed (since he was the only one of the three of us who had to get up in the morning).

I had to tell him about how in the wee hours, being on the changing table inexplicably calmed her. (Really, no reason that should be.) While I was standing there reminding myself that under no circumstances could she sleep on the changing table, and trying to think of a solution, she fell asleep on there. So I picked up the whole thing and carried her like a turkey on a platter to the bassinet.

Fifteen minutes after that she had woken up and cried a little again, and this time the only solution was for her to simultaneously lay on the magic changing pad and suck on my finger (no she does not want to nurse, suck on her own hand, or take a pacifier, and she's very offended that you even suggested any of those things--now return the hostage finger or pay the consequences!). I finally pulled a chair up to the bassinet. I may have fallen asleep leaning on the edge of it.

At 7:45 she made hungry noises like usual, and when I appeared she was all smiles. Geoff emerged from the shower and tentatively asked how she was. I told him she was grinning ear to ear and had apparently decided to pretend nothing had happened. He said, "Well tell her she's fired!" "I'm sorry, Cora, this isn't going to work out. This position really requires someone who isn't insane." More grins. Geoff says, "Tell her her replacement is going to be a good-natured Abyssinian cat!"

The good news is that my recurring thought during the madness was, "This is so unlike you, Cora--I hope nothing is seriously wrong with you." (Though the fact that the changing table "cured" her tipped me off that she was probably not actually ill.) She's mostly not overly difficult.

Wish us luck tonight. She can't have two aberrant nights in a row . . . right?

(P.S. I still wouldn't trade her in, even for a thousand Abyssinian cats. Though now I would like to see a contest between Cora and a thousand Abyssinian cats to see who could make more noise in the middle of the night.)

12 comments:

Tricia said...

maybe dad is paying her off on the side - "you and i get a cat if you just make mommy crazy. then you have to go back to just doing quiet baby stuff."
good luck tonight.
monday night when i come, do you two just want to go to the library or sit in the car with headphones on without any sound? i've done it before - it's great for the soul.
i've got a really great children's book to bring and share with cora. i bought it forever ago when the kids were little and just made me crazy. at their ages they weren't supposed to get the point but they did and they still remember it, jokingly refering to it.

Geoff said...

Keep in mind we were going to trade her in for a cat, not just add a cat on.

If we had 1,000 cats we could train them into an army and use them to rescue her from the kitten-mill to which we traded her in the first place. Just sayin, is all...

Geoff said...

It has been pointed out to me that if we follow my plan then we be left with Cora + 1,000 Abyssinians.

Not true.

Since most Abyssinians carry a gene that causes blindness, I figure that 99.9% of them will die in the attack leaving us with Cora + a managable number of cats (10).

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you would lie like this to your own father! I am shocked!

Sarah said...

Sounds like you need a Wilbur. And Julieanna, I bet you could market a good Changing Pad + Bassinet Matress IN ONE idea. Then you guys could just buy all the blind cats you wanted, and keep Cora :)
Let us know if you ever want to borrow Wilbur for a night. Although, she doesn't smile back at you like Miss Cora :)

Anonymous said...

Earth to Tricia, Why would I tempt her with a CAT? That ain't happenin'.
Sarah made the best offer; BORROW, on a VERY temporary basis, a cat.
Is this a case of building this fabrication as an excuse to get cats? That would be awful to malign that sweet little girl for such a base reason.
You don't need to make up stories about her. You're adults, get cats and give her to us.

Tricia said...

You're not Cora's "dad", you're Cora's "grandpa" silly! Remember I was the one with enough sense to give my dad the dog and you the fish?
I'm just trying to help out Cora's daddy. Sundae (our cat) said that I owed him to help him out since he was so nice to her Christmas Eve.
Wilbur (Sarah & Kyle's 1st) won't like Logan either when she learns the phrase "get her Buckley!". Hopefully Sarah & Kyle will have better luck and Logan will just love both of her pets and they will love her back. Who knows, Wilbur might even like riding under the carseat in Logan's stroller?
Either way, maybe Geoff would be temporarily amused by one of those toy stuffed cats that meows by battery control. I know, it's not the same thing.

Greg said...

That occurred to me AFTER Sally asked if perhaps it was Geoff??
I'm used to being wrong.
Julie now can begin to know how much we must love you.

Dad

Anonymous said...

I find this thread very confusing. I will send my Abyssinian army to silence you all.

Tricia said...

i may have just but my hair in the last couple hours but i'm still blonde and usually confused.
shhhhh - hopefully the baby is sleeping.

Anonymous said...

Your Abyssinian army is no match for my army of 300 American Shorthairs.

Anonymous said...

so has she slept since wednesday?