Wednesday was our third trip to story hour at the library. It's "Book Babies" for 12-to-24-month-olds, but despite being near the younger end (or maybe because of that), Cora's done really well so far. She spent most of the first week looking stunned (as did I, probably), but she's warmed up nicely. It's every Wednesday for four weeks, and when I signed up that seemed like a short run, but now I think it will be perfect.

We visit the "Main" Evanston Library uptown pretty regularly, but had not been to the "South Branch," which is in a smaller storefront-type space just a couple blocks from our house. I'm glad we signed up for the one at South Branch, because it turns out they have a pretty decent children's room I didn't know about, plus it's been way too cold to walk uptown to Main.
When you sign up of course you don't know what you're going to get, but I'm pleased that it's been exactly what I was hoping for: a mixture of books read aloud, and songs, and little hokey-pokey-type games. The librarian who runs it does a great job--the right pace, the right crowd control, good selection of activities. And the price is right at free dollars.

It's also been a good mixture of materials we're already familiar with and stuff I've never heard before. Most of the songs and rhymes for little ones that I know are ones I remember from my own pre-school days, and we like those but also needed some fresh blood.
However, every week there are a couple of songs where I seem to be the only adult who doesn't know the words! Baby Belu-whaaat? I mean, I've heard of Baby Beluga, but I must've missed the memo where we all learned the actual words. And it's even harder to fake the ones that have motions to go with the song. Those moments are slightly reminiscent of those dreams where you're suddenly back in school and there's a test and you're the only person who didn't know about it and hasn't studied. I may be getting a D in Maisie 101.

There are also plenty of songs we
do know, though, and you should see Cora's look of surprise when the whole roomful of people starts singing a song that normally just the two of us sing. I think up until now she may have thought I was the original author of the Itsy-Bitsy Spider.
So I'm sure it's like everything else in parenthood--eventually it'll seem like the most natural thing in the world, but for now it's still a bit surreal. How did I come to be sitting on the carpet singing a song about cuckoo clocks with a bunch of other adults? Because it's not the kids singing at this point. I'm glad we're going, and glad we're going at this age, though. In ad

dition to my goal of picking up a few new songs and stories, now that we're there I think Cora's getting some exposure to a few important skills relating to participating in a group activity. Sometimes it's time to all be quiet and pay attention to the group leader. When you're the group leader you'll want everyone to pay attention to what
you're saying, right?
Plus if we hadn't gone to story hour, I probably wouldn't have learned the second verse to Ring Around the Rosie and would never have learned that you get back up:
Cows are in the meadow,eating buttercups.thunder, lightning [pat hands against lap to make thunder]
We all stand up!
4 comments:
WOW! Cora and Julieanna are societal gems. It is nice that you can share with strangers at the library. I bet Cora is the star. She is in my heart.
It is nice to hear you are out and taking advantage of the community. Hope it makes you want to come back to us in a couple years. That's what I will tell myself no matter what you choose to do.
I like how these pictures make Cora seem so elusive. She is like a much cuter, smaller, and urbanized, big foot. Just a little red blur, with too much to do to waste time with pictures!
Looks like a lot of fun!
We are so bad with at imparting childhood cultural literacy -- the only songs that I sing to Seamus are ones that I make up! And one from the animated version of "The Cat In The Hat" ... "beautiful kittenfish, sleep, baby, sleeeeep ..."
Made up songs are the best kind!
Geoff's made-up song about sick Cora with a very runny nose:
CooOOOOoooora
The most disgusting baby ehhhh-ver,
CooOOOOoooora
She is under the weaaaa-ther.
Post a Comment