Monday, April 30, 2007

BUN Screening

I had another ultrasound today--part of first-trimester BUN screening for chromosomal defects. Official results in a week, but everything looked good. The nasal bone was visible and the nuchal fold measurement was within the desired range, both good signs, so I'm expecting good news.

The baby was sleeping and took much prodding and coughing and shaking to wake. And the Russian sonographer jostling my gut vigorously and cooing, "Vake uuup, beebee!"

It's definitely much bigger and more baby-looking than last time. When it did finally wake up, it was rolling over and waving it's arms and legs in a very babylike manner. When it first appeared onscreen and eventually started flipping around, I just kind of thought, "Whoa! That's seriously what's in there now?"

In fact, I still can't quite wrap my head around the idea that the fetus is actually inside me. At all times. I feel like it's in a petri dish somewhere at the doctor's office and I just go visit it and see pictures of it occasionally, and if I can just endure the nausea and heartburn and not drink any vodka, at the end of nine months they'll send it home with me. (Note how this delusion conveniently doesn't involve any laboring.) When in fact . . . the fetus is with me right now! It's true, they are like little stowaways!

So, I'm looking forward to feeling the first kicks, though they're still a couple months away. It'll definitely seem like something's in there at all times then.

Currently: 12 weeks pregnant.

No comments: