Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lamazed

Geoff and I had our Lamaze class this weekend--all day Saturday, half day Sunday, bootcamp style.

Getting in the car on the way there, Geoff mentioned that he didn't want anyone at Lamaze to know he's a doctor at Evanston Hospital. "What should my alternative occupation be for the day? Architect?" After rejecting several possibilities, he decided he would be "a furrier. Armand the furrier, working exclusively in cat fur and specializing in capes and rugs, but I can make you anything you want." Of course when it actually came up, he just said he was on housestaff at the hospital. The couple we were talking to probably thinks he's a janitor now, and so much the better.

We learned that Dr. Lamaze was French, but that he stole the whole thing from the Russians ("a communist plot!" Geoff whispers to me).

The class was all right, but a little anticlimactic. I think I've reached a point of saturation where everything I read or hear about having a baby consists of 90 or 95% stuff I already knew and 10 or 5% new information. I guess I learned a couple things from the class, and certainly the hospital tour was helpful. It's a little easier to picture what's about to go down now. I keep waiting for someone to impart the secret knowledge that will make this whole thing seem more plausible, but I'm beginning to suspect that there is no secret knowledge, and this is as plausible as it gets. Childbirth is just one of nature's more bizarre processes, but this is it, let's go.

Somehow in preparing for the contracting and the pushing, we got to practice things like clenching all the muscles in one leg while keeping the other one entirely relaxed. The partner's job was to pick up the relaxed leg and move it around to make sure it wasn't being flexed at all.

Also the partners had to practice giving us backrubs. I told Geoff, "Lucky for you I wore this soft shirt today, instead of that one made out of porcupines." He says, "No problem, Armand is trained in handling porcupines."

12 comments:

Sally said...

I think that you and "Armand" are CRAZY!! But I'm also pretty sure that it is also a prerequisite for parenthood. I think little Cora is in for quite a life! Love ya.

Jen Turner said...

The secret knowledge is that you are the one in control - no matter what they tell you or how you prepare, you are going to deal with the whole shebang the way you were meant to!

And, you will be fine (both of you - Armand especially!)

Greg said...

OMG! 57 days! What are we going to do? We aren't ready yet. Can we take a preparation class?
Don't worry. It'll be okay. Everything's going to be fine. We'll be okay.
OMG! I can hardly wait. Are you two excited yet?

Greg said...

Usually when a couple splits up it means they go their separate ways; not that they develop split personalities like Geoff and Armand

Julieanna said...

Actually they DO have preparation classes for grandparents. I think they tell you things like that babies don't take cod liver oil anymore, and you shouldn't put brandy in their bottles to help them sleep. :-p

Geoff said...

The truth is that NOBODY is in control. The whole thing is a random, convulsive process, bereft of rhyme, reason and organization.

Except for the delivery of the placenta. That is perfectly controled and always goes like clockwork. I have made a cat-skin cozy to keep Cora's in.

Anonymous said...

Grandma & Grandpa so don't need any grandparenting classes, they've got it down.
Mom needs to write a book.
Dad never actually ductaped Alex in a closet.
A little bit of wine used to keep the kids nicely in line at the dinner table.
We've all made it with normal kids, you guys will too.
Tricia

gretablau said...

You're kidding about the wine, right?
Julieanna! I hope you had a great shower! I have a package almost ready for you. It has some stuff in it that we couldn't have survived without.

Will send as soon as the last element gets here!

gretablau said...

You're kidding about the wine, right?
Julieanna! I hope you had a great shower! I have a package almost ready for you. It has some stuff in it that we couldn't have survived without.

Will send as soon as the last element gets here!

Anonymous said...

nope. wine for everybody!

Geoff said...

Please note: Geoff and Julieanna do not necessarily agree with the parenting advice posted to this blog.

Anonymous said...

please note: we have never and never will subject anyone elses children to sipping wine. sometimes the interventions you dislike the most work out the best in sticky situations or when you just want your kids to be better behaved than the other kids in your company - what ever it takes. it's like kids not watching movies or tv - sometimes, you need either another set of hands to get something done or a video to entertain. also spanking, no child really needs more than a few little taps to get it that you mean business.
no longer do our kids have wine at dinner to behave.
T