Thursday, February 24, 2011

More Snow

As of late February, the Twin Cities is up to 75 inches of snow for the winter, while the usual amount is 48 inches. Our family's one winter in Minnesota is one of their ten snowiest on record. And we're not done yet.

The back patio continues to be a pretty good place for Cora to play in the snow. I shove her out the door with whatever snow toys we improvise. Hazel and I watch from indoors.


Here she is playing with what she calls "scoopers and colors," which is containers of food coloring and water, and whatever kitchen implements--measuring cups, ice cream scoop--I can come up with. I also gave her a spray bottle of colored water, but her little hands aren't quite strong enough to operate the spray bottle on her own.
 It's a bit messy, but not prohibitively so. We got this idea from preschool, where they bring in big bins of snow and ice blocks for the sensory table, and have containers of colored water and pipettes to play with.



I haven't turned Hazel loose outdoors at all, but we do bring snow inside for her. Cora always joins in and always makes it a game of "snow princesses," which means bringing all the princess and fairy figures over to play.




 

And finally, here's Hazel in her winter wear. I got this suit for a steal and blue is Hazel's color, but yes, she often gets called "little guy" when she's wearing this. She's such a little snuggle bug, though! And she is her Daddy's girl--she loves the cold, and when we step outside and that brisk air hits her, she grins from ear to ear without exception--even if she has just woken up from napping in the car. This one's got the Viking blood.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I don't know what happened to my comment; I just noticed that it is 0.

Your girls are cute as they can be. Hazel is having such fun and smiles so richly. While Cora is so serious and concentrating on her task. Reminds me of her mother.

They are so lucky that you are their mom. Letting them bring the snow in to play with. My mom would have been saying, "Stand right there! Don't track that all over!"

Once, we did bring in a bowl of snow to make Eskimo Ice Cream. But no playing around and no mess.

Interesting that Cora goes out to play but not Hazel. Yet you say Hazel loves the cold. When she is big enough to play out in the cold she will be living somewhere with hot summers and warm winters.

Hug them both for me.