Thursday, August 21, 2008

Finger Foods Are Confusing

Note that our heroine begins this video with a Cheerio already stuck to her finger. She picked it up herself, and has no problem with the pincer grasp. The plan falls apart from there, though (when she's not being distracted by a passing train). Her little hungry-baby-bird mouth cracks me up.



Food + Fingers = No problem! Willingly picks up the food (and clears it off the tray by throwing it on the floor).

Food + Mouth = No problem! Is happy to eat the food someone puts in her mouth.

Fingers + Mouth = No problem! Chews on her own fingers all day long.

Food + Fingers + Mouth = "What are you people talking about?? Will someone please give me a Cheerio--I'm starving here and all these Cheerios are languishing on my tray!"


She could starve to death with a Cheerio in each hand. (Diced-up peaches, grapes, bananas, and carrots yield similar but slimier results--and are harder to clean up off the floor.)

I assume this is one of those things that will just click one day and there'll be no stopping her.

4 comments:

Greg said...

You big meannie. Teasing her with food; shame on you. I bet you hold her head under water too.

It's no wonder she's so thin. Maybe if you used Logan's video as a training film. Or maybe put it in her hand and move her hand to her mouth a few times. Or maybe if you get her an eating coach.

There ought to be some coaches out of work from the lousy Olympic results.

She will get it before we know it. It would probably be sooner with chocolate.

Julieanna said...

I don't mean to tease her--I'm just trying to get her to do things for herself!

I've tried (gently!) nudging her Cheerio hand toward her mouth, and she couldn't be more clearly annoyed by that.

Anonymous said...

It's so frustrating for her. She just doesn't get it, yet.

When she does EVERYTHING will probably go in her mouth.

It would be tempting to tease her just to see her little bird mouth chase it.

- Dad -

Tricia said...

She is too sweet to tease like that. Can she have anything that can stick to her fingers? Marshmallow fluff?