Monday was the girls' first day of school, and this year both kids are off to preschool. This is Cora's final year at Living Springs before kindergarten, and the first of presumably three years that Hazel will attend. Both girls will be going Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, and as you can see, Hazel is thrilled to be going to school like a big girl. All summer she's been very unhappy at Cora's drop-off, insisting that she should stay at school, too.
Our beloved afternoon babysitter from last year graduated college and moved on to a full-time job, so now preschool time is my freelance work time, which I think is going to work out great.
We went to Cora's classroom first, the Rainforest, and she was reunited with all of her old pals--there was only one new friend, and the rest were all from last year's class. She also already knows and loves this year's teacher.
Since she's an old pro it didn't take long to get her settled in, so Hazel and I headed down to Hazel's room. Hazel is starting out in the two-year-olds' class, Forest Friends, though she probably won't stay there all year. We found the class out on the playground, and Hazel made a beeline for the slide while I spoke briefly with one of her teachers. She hardly noticed when I kissed her good-bye.
I swung back by Cora's room on my way out, but she was already engrossed in an activity.
So I headed home. It of course felt very strange to be leaving with zero children and going home to an empty house.
I got some work done, and when I went back to pick them up, I came across Hazel's teacher first and asked, "How'd she do?" and was assured, "Oh great! No tears at all!" I was kind of wondering more if she had decked anyone, but from that report I'll assume the answer is no.
I found Hazel again on the playground, and when she spotted me she marched right up to me and announced proudly, "I did not miss you!"
Well, good!
We collected Cora and I pumped them for information on the car ride home. Cora's new classroom fish is named Kashi, they have a divided box of money for counting, and the cleanup song is different this year. Hazel had Cheerios for snack, they sang a song "with clapping" (she gave a few gleeful demonstration claps when telling that part), and a girl stole her baby doll, but she told an adult, and the adult instructed the girl to return it to Hazel. (That answers my hitting question, too! Whew!)
So all in all we're off to a very good start. Hope it lasts all year.

No comments:
Post a Comment