Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Preschool for Real

So I knew before we moved to South Carolina that one of our priorities here would be to get Cora enrolled in preschool a few mornings a week. She was very ready, I thought it would be a great experience for her, and I thought Hazel and I could benefit from some one-on-one time.

As we started to get settled in, I went and visited a few places and left feeling a little uneasy, but when I got to Living Springs, I knew it was the one. Cora's would-be teacher, Ms. Maria, spoke with me and she was both very experienced and still very into her job. She obviously loved the children, she had a lot of great plans for them, and I could tell she was right there inside their heads, understanding their feelings and comprehension and thinking about how to guide them. We have not been disappointed, and the school has been one of big things to go right in our time here.


First Day of School--August 15, 2011



Hazel was twenty months old and had hardly been apart from Cora in her whole life. When we actually left the building without her, Hazel was heartbroken and cried and cried. All the way home, inside, shoes off, mom tries fruitlessly for a half hour to comfort her, and still she just wants to go get Cora again.


She was a little less upset each time for the first three drop-offs or so, and then she was okay with it.

When the kids do artwork, they always attach a little note or labels showing what the child has said about the piece or explaining what the parts are.


On October 19 Grandma and Grandpa came to visit, so I took some pictures of Cora showing Grandma around.

Cora in front of a little project we did together during the week they were focusing on different occupations. Hers is the Hair Stylist one. 
The calendar:
Showing how they count off the days with the wand when they are the calendar helper. Besides calendar helper, the other jobs on the Helpers Chart are line leader, snack helper, door holder, and janitor.




Showing Grandma the imaginative play area, which I think was set up like an airplane this week.


Cora's cubby.


The ramp we've trotted down, many a happy morning.



When we come back outside out after picking Cora up, the girls and usually their friends have to walk along this low wall on the way back to the car. It's a ritual that can't be skipped.
I've liked our school routine so much this year that I decided to keep it going through the summer, so Cora also attended "summer camp" at the same time and place through the summer and has been in Ms. Maria's class a full year.

1 comment:

Greg said...

My how they have grown! I love seeing you all doing so well. I am thrilled that you are settling in even though you are so far away.