Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Workin'

Work-wise where we're at is that Geoff is in a very busy rotation for October, and so the baby needs to stay right where she is until that's over. He's going to be able to take a week off starting whatever day the baby comes . . . as long as that's November 1 or later. He has arranged to have a more moderate workload for November, December, and January, so hopefully that will give us all time to adjust to our new circumstances.

Then the week Geoff goes back to work, my mom is planning to take the week off to come help me and hang out with me and the baby.

I have one more freelance project to do, which is due next week, and then I think I'm done until I deliver. That will leave me three weeks until my due date. Physically I could keep working longer, but the problem is it would be bad news to accept a project and then be unable to finish it and have to send it back undone or partially done. I know from having been on the other side of the production editor/freelancer equation that that would cause them a major headache. And they're aware of my due date, too, and are afraid to offer me anything further at this point, I think.

It's considered normal to deliver anywhere from three weeks before your due date to two weeks after, so that should leave me somewhere between zero and five weeks from the time I quit working until the baby comes (but most likely three or four). I've been compiling a to-do list to keep myself busy during that time, since that's definitely a long time to not be working. A lot of it is stuff to finish up in the nursery. Right now we're pretty well equipped, and if she were born suddenly today, we could at least bring her home and have a place to put her and have the basics covered, but there's still a ways to go to get the place looking good and well-organized.

2 comments:

Jen Turner said...

Holy Moly! She's almost here! Right around the corner!!!!! We can't wait!

Greg said...

Were the pictures not suitable? I hope you two are taking plenty of happy pictures.