Friday, July 13, 2007

Baby's First Hiccups

The baby had the hiccups this morning! That cracks me up. I had read that that could happen, which seems strange to me, considering fetuses don't breathe through their lungs.

Sure enough though, when I woke up this morning she was making a sort of general twitch at regular intervals about every four seconds. After about three of them, it was pretty unmistakable what was going on. The whole episode didn't last long, but after that she was awake and moving around a bit.

Soon hopefully she'll be pulling these little tricks when her dad is around to see it. Right now at 23 weeks some of her movements can be seen and felt from the outside, but you pretty much have to have already been looking--by the time I can call him over to look or feel, she's stopped. So getting someone else to see her is a little bit like sitting on a stakeout for the Loch Ness Monster.

Soon she'll be unmissable, I'm sure.

2 comments:

gretablau said...

Seamus had the hiccups all the time! It's kind of weird, isn't it? I remember he would move all over and as soon as I told Jim to feel my stomach, Seamus would stop. Later on, there will be no mistaking it though!

Jen Turner said...

At some point near the end, Gaius looked and felt to me like an underwater sea creature! However, I was disappointed that there were no "dramatic" events such as ginat shifting up into the ribs, etc...