Thursday, July 12, 2007

Turtle

Well, so far the second half of this pregnancy is going just fine. I had this month's doctor's appointment on Monday, and everything is still normal. My blood pressure has been a bit iffy all along, but not a major concern. I have one month until my next appointment (which will be my glucose test) and then I go down to every two weeks.

One of the questions I had for my doctor this time was about exactly why pregnant women aren't allowed to sleep on their backs. The doctor clarified for me, and also mentioned that you can lay reclined or tipped a little to the side, just not perfectly flat.

When I told Geoff what she said he couldn't suppress his laughing. When I asked him why that was funny, he theorized that the real reason pregnant women aren't allowed to lay perfectly flat is that they may not be able to get up again--like turtles turned on their shells.He was a little too amused by the image of me turned on my shell, and yet he may have a point. It could come to that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should also start sleeping on a log.

B

Julieanna said...

Ha ha. :o) Lots of mornings it feels like I have.

Jen Turner said...

J - It's perfectly fine to lay on your back, as long as your body doesn't tell you otherwise. There is such a small percentage of women who actually have a problem with the vein under the baby. There was no way I couldn't sleep on my back - I would try and sleep on my side and would wake up flat on my back!

Julieanna said...

You shoulda gone to medical school, because that's pretty much what my doctor said.

Also, Geoff pointed out that he's autopsied plenty o' fetuses, and in not one of them has the cause of death been "Mother slept on her back."

gretablau said...

HA HA HA. Wow autopsy-ing fetuses. Pretty crazy and interesting. We'll have to talk!

I heard the same thing about sleeping on the back. You do have a snoogle, right? It was my best friend in the end.

Also, getting up or even rolling over from lying down was challenging in the last month or so.

Jen Turner said...

I,too, had a snoogle - not nearly as good as Brad, however!

Julieanna said...

Yeah, those snoogles are supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. There's not even room in our bed for Geoff and I, though, let alone Geoff and I and my belly and a snoogle. We need a new bed, but we can't quite bring ourselves to do it.