Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ren Faire: The Indorktrination

Back in early September, we went to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival one fine Saturday. This was its 40th year, and it amazes me that this entire village of historical-looking buildings sits hidden out kind of in the middle of nowhere all year.
There was lots to look at, and more than a few attendees in costume. Geoff and I estimate maybe fifteen percent of people were dressed up.
There's constantly live entertainment going on as you're wandering around. Here's a fire-juggling, joke-telling tightrope walker doing his show.
There was blessedly no interacting with them or having to "play along," which would not be up our alley. Except for one Renaissance heckler at the front gate, who saw Hazel and told us he likes babies . . . but can't eat a whole one anymore. (Ba-dum-BUM!)


The parade:

Things Cora got to pet:

A pony!
And ride it, obviously. We weren't sure she'd go for this, but she was more acclimated to animals since visiting the State Fair, I think.
A python!
Sheep! (Or goats? What are these?) She's a pro at these by now.
A tortoise!
This gets my vote for most interesting thing I saw at the Ren Fest. It was an African Spur-Thigh Tortoise named Tank. It was the most alert and active tortoise I've seen, ambling along at about the pace of a fast-crawling baby and likewise getting into a certain amount of trouble such as trying to knock over its yellow sign. Only unlike a fast-crawling baby, it was trained! If it started to wander too far afield, its handler would bend low and snap her fingers, and it would circle around toward her hand. Or she would touch that tankard to the ground, and it would immediately turn and walk toward the tankard. And she was able to have him mix with the crowd and keep him to his area that way. Impressive.

We did not do an elephant or camel ride, but I think this is the most up-close I've been to either one. They are pretty amazing animals.


Jousting arena:The Piccolo Pony:Also, we got Cora some fairy wings.

The proprietess/sales wench applied some glitter to her hand and earnestly explained that this fairy dust would help her laugh and be joyful all the day long. Cora was riveted.
And then it was time to go home.

(I'm worried Cora is going to fall off the rail.)


2 comments:

Greg said...

Another amazing adventure! Cora is really blossoming. She has moved beyond tolerating and seems to enjoy the animals. I wonder if Hazel has taught her to trust 'animals'? lol

Glad you all had fun. Geoff got to go to the Ren fair finally. Did he talk about it for days? lol

Jen Turner said...

Agree with Greg.

And WHERE does one get a tortoise like that???? I want one!